<~Out of the Blue~>

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Religion-Different Ways to Climb 'The Mountain'

Recent conversation with a friend who is a Catholic inspires me to find out more. You see, I think I have ‘jodoh’ (fate) with Christianity/Catholicism (i now have to use these 2 words with care coz I know they aren't interchangeable, do allow me to use the short form C/C) since young. We used to rent our place to a chapel ( I stayed in a shophouse), then I attended church camp, went to 2 piano teachers who are C and got in touch with C stuff, went to Methodist College, love chapel songs and surrounded by friends who are C/C. However, I have never really got to 'know' the religion better as I was always bugged by pushy people who condemn about other religions, think being a C/C is about going to Heaven (' we want you to go to heaven, that's why we want you to believe in God) and just like to convert me. argh!
I, myself, have been born a Buddhist (there is a difference, between Buddhism and Taoism ok!!) and been following my parents in the practice of Buddhism, In Buddhism, there is no God. Siddharta was a prince and he reached enlightenment. I love the teaching of Buddhism, yet, I have been praying to God (don't ask me 'which one', I believe there is ONE GOD, it is just that we are praying to him in different ways) since young.
I have googled ‘Quotation in religion’ and selected some that I think are food for thought.

A God. The God. One word can make all the difference in the world.
- C.S. Lewis

Religion is to do right. It is to love, it is to serve, it is to think, it is to be humble.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, courage to change the things i can, and wisdom to know the difference.
- Anonymous

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. ~Dalai Lama

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
- The Buddha, Kalama Sutra

Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair. ~G.K. Chesterton

This one is kinda light-hearted, but it is true to a certain extent.
Most men's anger about religion is as if two men should quarrel for a lady that neither of them care for. ~George Savile, Marquess de Halifax



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home