BLOODy Hell
Surprise surprise, I finally got the answer to those KILLER questions in Haematology. Today, my parents and I went to get our medical reports from our family doctor, Dr. Loo. He is a sincere and patient doctor who didn’t mind explaining to us, especially when he knew that I am taking pharmacy.
As we were talking about out blood group, I popped the Rhesus Negative and positive questions to him.
Here we go: A person who is rhesus negative means that she does NOT have any anti-D antigens. So her blood is very suitable to be donated to people as the antibodies present in the blood of the recipient will have no antigen to react with. So the SAFEST best of a donor blood is always O NEGATIVE, besides the same blood group of the recipient.
So I got it WRONG. * sniffles* but I am so happy to clarify my doubts on this area.
The real concern about Rhesus factor is when a Rhesus negative woman is carrying a rhesus positive baby. Upon delivery, there is a risk that the baby’s rhesus positive factor that have crossed the placenta remain in her body and stimulate the production of antibody.
So during her second pregnancy, if the baby is Rhesus negative, the rhesus positive antibody will cross the placenta and attack the baby’s cells.
Anyway I got back my report and I am a CARRIER of thalassaemia. My haemoglobin level is low compared to the high level of red blood cells. So my blood morphology shows the red blood cells being microcytic and hypochromic. I asked Dr. Loo if there is anything I can do to help the condition.
‘No, you don’t need any iron supplements because you have more than enough. You just need to be aware that you husband in future is not a carrier, if not your kid has 25% chance of being thalassaemic.’
‘So that means I have to ask my boyfriend to go for a medical check up before we get married?’
‘Girl you still marry him if you two have fallen in love. Just be careful when you are pregnant; be sure to go for check-up. Usually people abort the foetus if they found out they he/she is thalassaemic.’
Disclaimer: I know some people do NOT propagate abortion due to their religion or their own beliefs, neither do I. However, I feel that if you find out that the foetus has some serious illness like Down syndrome or handicapped, it is better to end the pain and sadness at that stage.
1 Comments:
none of us are at that stage yet.. so it might be easier said than done..
but i believe that whatever happens to it happens for a reason... something we can only see in hindsight.. so we just have to learn to deal and cope with what we're dealt with..
my 2 cents worth!
Post a Comment
<< Home