<~Out of the Blue~>

Friday, July 21, 2006

7 November

I know it may just be another date for many other people. Yet, to me, it can be a day where the sky is exceptionally blue, the fields in Malaysia can be like lush green meadows I yearn to lie on in overseas (bath or nottingham or wherever) and the sun can be smiling exclusively for ME. haha. It is the day to thank my mother too, for bringing me into this world after all the pain she had to endure. ^_^

It is also the day when sentimental sweet sincere true friends will make you feel like you are on top of the world-you feel that you are liekd for who you really are, and that they are putting in so much effort to make you happy. At least, this is what I always think everytime I organise something special for friends worthy of my time, haha, I love that moment when the smile beams on their faces, the surprise they get and the feigned stunned look that they portray.

Birthdays. Just another day for many people. Yet I googled it in wikipedia and there is a list of results churned out. In fact, everyday can be a meaningful day to a certain person in this world; it can be the anniversary day that these 2 people started dating, it can be the day that Mr. Undecisive plucked up his courage to call the girl, it can be the day when someone gets his/her degree. As I am writing this now, perhaps history is being written.

1665 - The London Gazette, the oldest surviving journal, is first published.

1848 - U.S. presidential election, 1848: Zachary Taylor is elected president in the first US presidential election held in every state on the same day.

1912 - The Deutsche Opernhaus (now Deutsche Oper Berlin) opens in the Berlin neighborhood of Charlottenburg, with a production of Beethoven's Fidelio.

1917 - World War I: Third Battle of Gaza ends: British forces capture Gaza from the Ottoman Empire.

1934 - Premiere of Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini at the Lyric Opera House in Baltimore, Maryland, United States.

1940 - In the U.S. state of Washington, the middle section of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapses in a windstorm, a mere four months after the bridge's completion.
(I think this is the classic example they use to illustrate 'resonance')

1944 - U.S. presidential election, 1944: Franklin D. Roosevelt wins re-election over challenger Thomas E. Dewey, to become the only U.S. president to be elected to a fourth term.

1957 - Cold War: The Gaither Report calls for more American missiles and fallout shelters.

1962 - Richard M. Nixon loses the gubernatorial election in the U.S. state of California. In his concession speech, he states that this is his "last press conference" and that "you won't have Dick Nixon to kick around any more".

1991 - Basketball player Magic Johnson announces he has tested positive for the HIV virus that causes AIDS, and that he is retiring.

1996 - NASA launches the Mars Global Surveyor.



There are a list of people who share the same birthdays as me, but then I haven't heard of most of them. The one that I really can relate to is Rio Ferdinand, the english defender born in 1978.

Like the friend who inspired me to write this post said, with births come deaths as well. So here are the people who passed away on 7/11.

1962 - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States

1983 - Germaine Tailleferre, French composer
( U all know why I highlighted this right? ^_^)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home