More Reasons To Like Steven Gerrard

World Cup is barely over for 2 months and the EPL has already started. It is a pity Liverpool did not manage to win the 1st game with a big bang, instead, they merely survived with a draw with Sheffield United.
I decided to blog about this as most of you all will wonder why I would suddenly be so interested in a footballer and not to mention, football.
I was like at first sight. During the FA cup finals, I was just walking down the stairs to the living room when I saw steven gerrard scoring the second (and the MOST CRUCIAL) goal that led to Liverpool's victory. I thought he was kinda cute and yeng; and I admire him even more when I found out like a few minutes later that he was the CAPTAIN of Liverpool.
As I continued to read more about him on papers during the world cup season(I actually bought the Official World Cup Guidebook that cost me RM20 because there was an exclusive interview with him, not to mention with Michael Ballack, as well as the team's profile), I like him even more. He is an inspiring leader, down-to-earth. team-player and he is NO WAY like the bad-tempered rooney.
He has always been in Liverpool since he started joining the club at 17. When he was 23, he became the captain of Liverpool.
'While attending Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School in West Derby, Liverpool, Gerrard was known to go on scouting trips to check out rival school teams.
Treble season
2000–01 brought Gerrard his first trophy successes. Gerrard put his injury problems behind him as he made 50 first team appearances, while scoring 10 goals, as Liverpool won the League Cup and FA Cup. In the UEFA Cup final against Alavés Gerrard scored his first major final goal as Liverpool won 5-4.
At the end of the season Gerrard was named PFA Young Player of the Year.
Liverpool captain
Houllier handed the club captaincy to Gerrard for 2003–04 season, perhaps hoping that he could inspire his teammates, but also to compel him to take responsibility for his own indifferent disciplinary record, which apparently worked as in throughout the season, he was booked only twice.' from Wikipedia
Why is he a key player? From www.askmen.com
Steven Gerrard is a commanding midfielder with an eye for the goal outside the area. Unafraid to commit himself to the hard tackle, he controls the middle of the pitch and picks apart attackers with brilliant long-ball passes.
During a season in which Liverpool fans tore their hair out in frustration at the team's performance, Gerrard remained a consistent bright spot at Anfield. The Liverpool faithful breathed a collective sigh of relief when Gerrard put pen to paper and committed himself to the club through 2007.
Rock on, Gerrard!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home