Reflection on MERDEKA
Tanggal 31. The significant day where our nation got its independence. This year marks the 49th anniversary of our Hari Kemerdekaan. As a rakyat in this nation, this post is necessary. ^_^
I would like to say that I like the theme song, Keranamu Malaysia which has been around for years. It is catchy and meaningful.
It is of course fake and all to say that I 100% love my country and so on. Please be aware that I have to be politically correct here; or I risk getting caught and sent to jail. haha.
This is not to say that I have no good things to say about my country. In fact, I have grown up to know that wherever we go, HOME IS THE BEST. You may migrate to other countries but the people there treat you as 2nd class citizen; they look at you with green-eyes because they feel that you have robbed them of their work opportunity. Of couse this is not to say that some people in our country are not envious of our success. They should realise that our forefathers have toiled so hard for what we have today.
My grandfather was 9 and he had to stop schooling to support his morphine-taking dad and his siblings. He built his empire empty-handed, saving every single penny. He was bad-tempered, yet he did all those things for his successors. For US. I used to wonder why ah gong liked to work even on public holidays. The only day he doesn't work ist he first day of chinese new year because the market was not opened. He was a wholesaler among the myriad of other fields that he was involved. My uncle took him to Genting and he was so uneasy and scolded him ,'Do you know how much I could earn if I didn't come here?'
Those were the tough days. So we are blessed now to live in this land of opportunity, of peace and harmony. Look into the eyes of those victims of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and you will feel so so blessed......
Of couse I LOVE THE FOOD in malaysia!! My friend said you will puke when you try some char koay teow and wantan mee in kiasuland-they put tomato sauce!! eww!!
The mega sale in Malaysia is something I am proud of too.
Other Pride of Malaysia:
Michael Wong (Guang Liang) -He is a renowned singer internatinally and has won many awards with his song 'Tong Hua'
Gary (Cao Ge)- He didn't win the astro talent quest yet Lee HOm told him 'work hard, you are talented'. He is getting popular now with the release of his album.
Penny Tai- I LOVE her song 'Fang Kong Dong'. She is a pretty singer who does not only have beauty, but the brains as well. She composes her own songs and writes lyrics occasionally.
Of couse we have Angelica Lee Sin Jie, Michelle Yeoh, Rachel Tan (weng kam)- the beaty wueen who recently got her masters in Cambridge.
There is so much potential out there, so strive on, Malaysia!!
Wishlist for Malaysia:
1. Efficient politicians, thank you very much.
2. Scholarship given to those who really need them, not to some sons or daughters or datuks, tan sris just so to 'mengharumkan nama keluarga mereka'. Scholarship should be given based on MERITROCRACY and NOT quota.
3. LESS mega projects to boost in the international front and end up being an empty shell within.
Provide proper healthcare first-the people in rural areas do NOT have the access to basic healthcare!!!
4. Allow chinese schools to flourish or we chinese risk losing our roots in years to come. Who says that Chinese education will make you less patriotic???
5. Allow MORE freedom of speech. I am not saying that we must be like america overnight. In fact I think we should have our OWN signature-we should pride ourselves in the asian culture of euphemism. However, we all should be given space to speak up more.
6. Projects given based on performance of company and not because of ties with royalty or government. Healthy and fair competition brings the best in people.
7. More world-class uni. I am not urging the government to build more unis and all, instead, upgrade and improve on the current ones. Revive the 'hari gemilang' of Univerisity Malaya, where the prominent people and successful people today in their 50s) graduated from.
Suffice to say, Merdeka is in your MINDSET, not as in how much you sing the patriotic songs, how many flags you hang and how loudly you declare you love your country. Those are superficial. The love for your contry comes from within-action speaks louder than words.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home