<~Out of the Blue~>

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

‘Jackass’ in The ‘Can’

The other day, I was given a can by a friend, who told me, ‘Open it when you feel like eating.’ I was quite surprised to see a can with NO label on it, so I asked, ‘wow this has no label?’, to which my friend said,’ yes, no label. You will find out what it is when you feel like eating.’

That night I was quite tired after the outing so I didn’t bother to open it. After all, I DID trust my friend and I thought I would only open it when I have this urge to cook Korean mee. Haha. However, the next day, I felt something amiss, as the can was darn light. I have a feeling I have been fooled. So I smsed my friend and I got this reply, ‘haha, yeah that is what my friend told me at 1st (foodstuff). He gave it to me after I ‘intelligently’ guessed what is inside without opening it.’ Wow, so my friend has X ray eyes then. =P With that, I am so SURE it ain’t foodstuff in the can. I thought it was an EMPTY can-how ‘evil’ of my friend to dispose ‘unwanted’ stuff to me!

When I opened the can, guess what is inside? *Drumrolls* Now take a few seconds to make intelligent guess ok? It is nothing but…… (My Indian lecturers like to say ‘The 1st Law of Thermodynamics is nothing but…’ ‘Stereoisomer is nothing but…’)


A kookaburra. A not-so-cute looking ‘bird’ ? with a long beak and a long tail. I found the word ‘Kelly Kookaburra’ on the tag so I googled it. This is what I have found out:

Physical Characteristics

Kookaburras, known as the Laughing Jackasses of Australia, are from the family Kingfishers. Similar to other kingfishers, Kookaburras have a stout and compact body, short neck, rather long and pointed bill and short legs.

Distribution and Habitats

Kookaburras inhabit woodland areas of eastern Australia.

Behaviour

The Kookaburra's rolling, laughing call is one of the best-known sounds in the animal world. The birds raise a wild chorus of crazy laughter as they go to roost in the treetops at dusk, and again wake everyone within hearing just as dawn breaks, so regularly that in the hinterlands of Australia they are know as the "bushman's clock."

(crazy laughter…haha..this remind me of mun waei’s contagious laughter!!)

Australians value the Kookaburra, not only as an intriguing member of the strange fauna, but for its habit of feeding on snakes and lizards. The Kookaburra seizes snakes behind the head and kills them by dropping them from a height, or else carries them to a perch and batters them senseless with its big bill before swallowing them.

(yes go kooka!! I HATE snakes. And Nope, I WON’t use the Prada or Versace or LV snakeskin leather goods even if you give me)

General Info

The Australian aborigines have a legend about the Kookaburra. When the sun rose for the first time, the god Bayame ordered the kookaburra to utter its loud, almost human laughter in order to wake up mankind so that they should not miss the wonderful sunrise. The aborigines also believed that any child who insulted a kookaburra would grow an extra slanting tooth.

(How nice, a waking alarm clock for us to appreciate the beauty of God’ creation)

Now, aren’t you all impressed with the way I put down information in a not-so-National-Geographic or not-so-Andrew-Pereira way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home