<~Out of the Blue~>

Friday, July 20, 2007

Life As A Student

Lately I have been pondering over our typical uni life as a student. This is because many of my friends are doing internship during their holidays, locally or in overseas. I do admit that I have the mindset like them too; for I had worked in both community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy to get exposure. Personally, I find that work experience serves more as a self-development means rather than a value-added aspect in your future resume.


This is because the market is so competitive nowadays that work experience is no longer seen as an 'edge'. To me, it merely ensures that you are at a level playing field with the other fresh graduates like yourself. Nowadays, everyone knows that fantastic grade is not a guarantee of one's working capability. We all well aware that the theories we learnt in uni, be it integration, how the G protein works, the history of homeopathy etc will NOT be needed in our job next time. We do realise the importance of practical work experience, and the need in being street-smart.


I was telling my sis how hard it is for me to strike a perfect balance between uni work, my self-development activities, and relaxation.


Self-development: I would love to be reading bbc and debatabase everytime I read blogs. I would love to read the communication/pharmacy practice books in my uni's library. I would love to read the entire reader's digest issue every month, and also to indulge in my story books. I would love to read more about finance, and find out more about economics and psychology. I would love to have a healthy lifestyle (not to mention, shedding some fats) by exercising at least once every week.

Yet, I am always doing these during my free time: msning, watching tv, watching youtube, reading CLEO or merely lazing about.

My sis said, 'It is because we are so tied up with uni work every day that when we do have the free time, we would want the time for OURSELVES; to read trashy books or doing stuff like watching tv'. HOW TRUE indeed!!

Ever since I had my fair share in working, I realise what my mum said about 'student life being the best time in your life'. No matter how many papers we have to sit for, how many assignments we need to hand in, we are working to learn. In future, we are working to earn. I am not too keen on being caught up in the rat-race. Not at all. Let these 2 years pass not-so-fastly please!


I know want I want; a pretty good grade and a fulfilling uni life. When I look back, be it at the convocation magazine or memories stored in my cerebellum, I would want to see myself engaging in activities that will have moulded me to who I will be in future, the whole person. Ah, it is easier said than done. More often than not, I find myself prioritising my time for these:


Me, May Ling, Pui Li, Kae Shin at Oh Sushi.



Me, Hisa(Ml's sis who speaks cantonese like a HK person and Chinese like the China person), Ml.

At the time of blogging, ml is on her way to Nottingham. Have a safe journey dear! Sorrie I was too tired after outing yesterday to call you.


Yesterday we helpians had a gathering before lindsey left for australia tomorrow. Since a lot of them either have uni or internship, only 4 of us went; but it was a good bonding session.

Me, Hui Juin and Linsey at Baskin Robbins.


Bye Lindsey, hope to see you during Christmas!!




1 Comments:

Blogger Pepperpourri said...

Hehe, you were telling me about everything in this post the other day!

Yeah, I agree with you. Remember about my experience with DAs? (Don't wanna mention the whole word)

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home