<~Out of the Blue~>

Saturday, September 16, 2006

British Parliamentary Style Debate


Yes that is what Ms. Milkyway here (I don't like to use my real name coz people can google my name and find out my blog;some employees get dooced, i.e. fired because of blog) has gotten herself into!! IMU cup has a new event added on this year and it is none other than debate!!


The thing is, this is different from the 3 aside debate that I joined FOR FUN back then in mc days. This is BP style, a style that most varsities adopt. To make it more pressurizing, we are representing pharmacy team-yes there are 5 intakes here but we just have to send a maximum of 3 teams, comprising of 2 members each.


On the other hand, each medical intake gets to send in a maximum of 3 teams.
With 400++ pharmacy students, you would have thought it is as easy as ABC to get people to join. You are wrong. I wonder why those loud people, and people who talk the MOST in class do not intend to bring their gift of the gap to the debate world. =P


MY guy friend has been asking me many times (and I rejected) until one day in the lab (I don't know what possessed me that I said I would consider, I guess it was the fact that I would love to gain experience, and I know I like to make a point ever since I blog).
So yes, after some contemplation and a chat with patrick at hoi's farewell, I decided to join though I didn't fare well in my class test(drug metabolism) and there are many more to come. Patrick said something that I would love to share with you all here:



'Uni is the time where you make all the mistakes that you can because nobody is going to penalise you or laugh at you. Take it as a chance for self-development. When you go out and work next time, you are expected to perform. There is no room for mistakes or practice.'


I just had a debate workshop( I stayed back for that 7pm-9pluz workshop!!) whereby we were taught the rules and basics of BP debates by our sem5 medic seniors (who are competing in IMU CUp debate too).


There are 4 teams in one session, unlike the 2 teams in one session that we are accustomed to. We have:

1)Opening Government-
Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister

2)Opening Opposition-
Opposition Leader, Deputy Opposition Leader

3)Closing Government-
Member of Parliament, Opening Whip

4)Closing Opposition-
Member of Oppostion, Closing Whip


Argh, we only got our MOTION 30 minutes BEFORe the actual competition and during the 30 mins prep time, we are ONLY allowed to converse with our team member!! No internet access but we can bring in our own materials. The thing is, we have to really read up on a lot of topics, because the motion can be as vague as .......


'This house would come out of the closet'


Yes that was what the secretary cited as an example which made us go 'huh?'
The motion if a BP style debate always start wth 'this house would'. The house is referring to the parliament.


In this case, the Opening Government gets to DEFINE the motion in the way they want They may interpret it as coming out of the closet=legalizing gay marriages, or 'lifting the ban on tobacco'. It can be anything.


Even direct motion like 'This house would legalise mercy killing' (motion for our mock debate during the workshop) can be interpreted as 'This house would legalise mercy killing, ONLY if the person is in a vegetative state due to medical condition, and/or with the consent of his next of kin/spounse.'


In other words, the opening government gets to add CONDITIONS to the motion but they should not set so many regulations/conditions in such a way that there is no more room for debate.


Excuse me, but this house would stop blogging and hit the books. (read: This house would stop blogging FOR THE TIME BEING and study =)


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! i find the debate thingy very complicated. i dun understand, i like the phrase said by ur fren, dun be afraid of making mistakes during uni life, i find myself quite scared of making mistakes in front of many ppl, but actually it's nothing la, and i hav no confidence in myself too, Go Go Go, GAN BA TE!

KY

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home