<~Out of the Blue~>

Thursday, December 07, 2006

My Stint in Inpatient Pharmacy

Sorry to have been absent for some time; I got my used-to-be-virus-plagued com back but unfortunately, there is still the ip prob which hinders me from going online at home. Being a dedicated friend, debater and blogger *ahem*, I am multitasking in my mum's friend's house now; preparing points for debate (yes it is last min since debate is 2 days away. well, actually I did put my thoughts to each motion and typed out some stuff; now I need to collect data and evidence.) while updating my blogs.


It is my 5th day working in the inpatient pharmacy and do allow me to say I am quite familiar with all the drugs' names. and brands. I mean, when you are packing like zinacef injection 750 mg each vial (active ingredient: the antibiotic, cefuroxime) like everyday, you just cannot forget it. Same goes with Zinnat tablet 250 mg per tablet with the same active ingredient, cefuroxime. Then we have Augmentin, the one whose 650 mg always run shot. The tablet consists of the active ingredient clavulanate salt and amoxycillin. How I wished I had that much of exposure earlier, it would be such a superb advantage in my microbiology.


On a side note, I did best in my microbiology among all my modues-argh dunno why I didn't do well in the respi and renal modules which I thought was ok and one my favourite modules, pharmaceutics. so anyway, for those who are gennuinely concerned, I PASSED MY SEM 3 first round, including the much-feared and much-failed extemporaneous dispensing. However, I didn't achieve the lowest taget I set for myself, which either means:

1. My academic performance decreases propotionally, if not exponentially, with my age.

2. I am just NOT DOING enough, like what my sister said. My parents are ok with my results, but dad goes like, 'don't use com till late, don't watch football too much.' Mum was like, 'don't spend so much time on the phone.' The latter is definite, coz that time it was that idiot whom I spent most of my time talking to.


so my post mortem is:
1. Whenever I have the urge to blog in uni (which is always during break time including the 115 min break), I shall read my lecture notes.*repeat to self countless times*


2. I am quitting debate though I feel that it is really beneficial and interesting. First of all, I am not a cut-out debater to begin with; secondly, I must set my priorities right. I am indeed indebted to the much looked-up ex-president, hai liang (yes teck jian, I am putting 'the debate guy' 's name here coz there is NOTHING suspicious here) and president, prasad who have guided us and taught us how to go about looking at things. I wish I could be part of the family like what deborah said, but I have to do what I have to do. Hopefully in sem 5 it will be less hectic (ok maybe I AM dreaming here; bpharm is never relaxed) so that I can join back the debate club.



Anyway, sorry for digressing. I had better finish off with my post here and get down to seaching info for my debate.


I like being in pantai because the staff are friendly; from the senior pharmacist, pham assistants, cashiers to the tea lady, portee etc... They are very willing to share their knowledge and experience with me, and of course, more than happy that someone is shouldering off their job and doing the least-well-liked tasks like checking for expiry date (mini stock-taking). I am more than willing to do it because it really gets me familirize with where those medication are put and their generic names & trade names. So it is a win-win situation.


Today, coincidentally (you will know why later), MSD company sent their sales rep to the pharm to talk about the Gardasil vaccine against Humanpapilloma virus (which cause cervical cancer and genital wart). One of my debate motions is 'This house believes that the government would vaccinate our kids against cervical cancer', implying government's intervention in making the vaccination compulsory for kids from 9 onwards. I requested to listen to the talk and was welcomed. At the end of the day, I feel like I can be a MSD sales rep, but I keep on reminding myself not to sound like one when I am debating (i.e. not to get excited over all the really useful info I got from their talks and brochures) because there are many aspects to the motion. So anyway, I will be blogging informatively on frenster blog once I am done with my debate research because I really feel like spreading the words around. Please help me by reading it and telling other people about cervival cancer!



Until I get my line back, until I get to post pics here, until my inter-uni debate is over, until I see you all again, until I get to talk to you all on msn (those in overseas)......


take care!! I miss you all loads!!! *hugz*

1 Comments:

Blogger Pepperpourri said...

Working at the pharmacy sounds so fun! And rewarding, of course. Hehe, what a contrast. I expected to do well in microbiology but didn't. Was disappointed with my results for microbiology. Don't know where I went wrong. How I wish we had 115 minutes break (trying not to sound sarcastic)=P

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home