10 Things About IMU Debate
p/s: The motions in the preliminary rounds were:
This house would legalise embryonic stem cell research. (we were closing opposition)
So our strategy was to propose embryonic stem cell research on adult cells since it causes no harm to the subjects. (lol my idea. Glad they all didn't rebut and said 'the success is so LOW coz it is hard to coax them into pluripotency) Then we talked about pro-life in that embryo is a lifeform and should be treated with respect and equality.
This house would legalise drugs use in sports. ( I was doing practicals so a guy took over me).
This house would legalise sex education in Malaysian schools. (we were opening opposition).
This motion, to me, is in favour of the Government because we couldn't rebut the point 'we are empowering women by teaching them what constitues 'molest' and 'indecent touch'. I mean, how can you rebutt to that??????
Anyway, my proposal was to have sex education to those children by parents coz parents understant the kids better due to strong bonds. Then we talk bout the teacher:student ratio being 1:50 in malaysian schools so how sure are you that the kids interpret the message correctly???
Then I went on to say that malaysia's official religion is Islam and we are a multiracial society. This means that we have multiracial students in schools. Thus we need to take into account the feelings and needs of our Muslim counterparts because they will feel awkward discussing this sensitive issue openly in class....and it went on .....lol...
1. I had fun.
2. Enough with that. I am glad to have enjoyed the process and discovered that I too, can actually make a point and reason; though not as assertive as the president whom I admire and look up to.
3. I, with other Mpharm students, are interested to join the Debate Society after the president inquired if anyone would like to join. I have never thought I would be passionate about a club in this univerisity; I can't believe that despite the hectic schedule of Bpharm, I actually don't mind staying back 7pm-9pm for the debate meeting.
The president told us that in a meet, we will discuss current issues and it has always been the tradition of the uni (pretext to SAVE $$!!) for seniors to train juniors. So yes I would love to enhance my skills in reasoning, speaking effectively and persuasively, as well as widening my social circles. haha. A bonus point is that 'he' told me that he would be joining too.
4. Some people can get really agressive in debates, but that is how things are.
5. I didn't know Ben thinks that Andrew is indimidating and hunky. lol Andrew he said 'why are you intimidated by me? I am not as tall as andrew, as hunky as him and as intimidating as him'. lol Please do NOT give him a hard time yeah??
6. We enjoy asking some people to sit down during POI (point of information-whereby the opponent interrupt you and challenge you to accept his questioning)..hahaha.. (really we didn't take anything personally but some people like her just deserves that. My friend just smsed to tell me that she will join the debate club and next year challenge her and piss her off!!)
7. I learnt that you do NOT have to be loud to be assertive and make an impact. The president s one shining example; everyone salutes him. *here here?* (BP style debate jargon)
8.PHarmacy team came up at the bottom (out of 12 rankings, we got 9, 10 and 12) but we were the one who sent in the MAXIMUM team of 3, which means we do have the fighting spirit!! I love the unity in us; all intakes uniting to try to stand up to medic students, though some of us have class tests (like me and a junior), cheerleading practice and darts competition.
9. In a debate, say what you will say, say what you want to say and say what you have said.
10. I don't know what got into me that I kept calling this guy, nick, kenny. haha. Now we deliberately call him Kenny to tease him.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home