<~Out of the Blue~>

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pre IMU Debate

*rolls my eyes*

Have you ever heard of some society NOT checking ALL the timetable for all the intakes in the uni when they have MONTHS to organize a competition that needs the least preparation like IMU debate (intra IMU) and then only CONFIRM the date like, one week before the competition?


*rolls my eyes*


Then they claim that 'we HAVE To finish it that day because the next day is the final day of IMU Cup' HEck, I thought you were given MONTHS to prepare ok!!


*rolls my eyes--eyes get jammed up coz rolled too much*


Then have you ever heard of 'those people of there' (people with authority) NOT excusing you from classes like practicals when you are representing THE FACULTY for a healthy competition like debate? Heck, I am NOT even skipping class to go clubbing. =P



I am actually 'ok' but I think they are really NOT flexible ok. THey said should I choose to represent my faculty for debate and skip practicals, the 2% of the practical on that day which will be contributed to my finals will be GONE. I suggested that they average out all my other practicals but they won't listen.



*rolls my eyes to the other side since the other side got jammed up*


Heck like I was the one so EAGER to join!! I rejected a few times ok!! It was because I saw pharmacy not enough people that I decided to join--prove to medical students that we pharmacy faculty have people who can speak their minds up too!! ^_^



OF couse being Ms. Sunshine I will look to the positive side for a solution. And it is.......

Since there are 3 preliminary rounds which all 12 teams must join, I will join the one from 12-2p.m. Then at 2p.m. I put on my white coat and show face in the lab, carrying out the experiment dutifully. At 4p.m., I dash down and take off my white coat, presenting myself in the PBL room for the 3rd round of debate. The question is...


What about the 2nd round?






Aha!! We got this guy to fill in for ME, but his marks will be tabulated into my team, of course. He is in cheerleading and he already has hell of a lot to do;yet we managed to pursuade him, for pharmacy's sake.



Go go pharmacy!! ROck on!!



So what have I been doing for this debate? I would say I didn't like gear myself to it because I had a string of tests last week; not to mention, I am nOT here to win but to go as far as I could. However, I am one who will put her whole heart to one thing once I have set up my mind. So I have attended the debate workshops that the sem5 seniors gave and I did some research on my own..... I called it my 'mou lam bei kap' (The Secret Guidebook of the Kung Fu World)

(sorry bananas, you need to be non-bananas to appreciate that=P)

I have googled a list of quotes, sorted by theme from A to Z. I printed A-K and guess what? After selection it still cost my 24-pageful of ink. *sob* MY printer ALWAYS run out of cartridge ok!!

I have also looked up on general stuff like what debaters should know about economics and law (the latter helped me when I did the mock debate on 'This house would abolish capital punishment')




OF couse I printed out a whole list of topics with pros and cons so hopefully some will come out--or related ones. At least we have materials to trigger our braincells.



( you see, we are ONLY given the motion and stand 30mins before the debate and we have a mere 30 mins to prepare. NO access to internet, No asking people-the ONLY person you can interact with is your partner)



I asked my partner to bring an English dictionary (because the government side needs to define the motion) and I am bringing a medical dictionary (in case a motion like 'This house would abolish exams and we give points like 'exams only test one's short-term memory. Then you get medic student asking you 'define memory).


IT is good to play safe, after all. I am digging out some behavioral science notes later--might borrow a book from library too. Haha. The trick I find is, even if you are NOT a pro, speak like a pro to be like a pro. haha ^_^ wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home