<~Out of the Blue~>

Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Poem (Autumn Wind of July) is Shortlisted

"May I speak to _______ (my name)please?'

*before I answered my hp, I knew that it was a call from uni coz it started with '86..*

"yes speaking, who is this?"


"I am _____ (forgot what she said-she was so soft) from uni'



*thinking to myself, doesn't sound like any lecturer to me or the lady from Academic Affairs Department*

"from which department?"

"I am from the uni art competition commitee. Congratulations, your poem is one of the 6 poems that is shortlisted. We would like to let you know that the recital is going to be held at 9 plus a.m. tomorrow"

*too stumped. When I joined I didn't like the idea of reciting poems but then I thought to myself, 'I only 'fan' when I am shortlisted' *



"Wow I didn't expect myself to be shortlisted. But I have a mock practical exam tomorrow morning till 12.45 p.m."

"Well I will discuss with the committee and let u know what we can do about it"

The final decision is, I cannot get someone to replace me coz we are graded based on

1. Communication with audience

2. Creativity

3. Voice

I suggest that they change the competition from 'English Poetry" to "English Poetry Recital". GOodness, I like to write but then I have no clue in reciting!! The girl told me that if I can't recite it, they will have to choose someone else.


Which means that JUST because I cannot make it for the recital, they are going to upgrade someone's poem. Do I look like a girl who gives up when the chance is like right in front of her, staring right into her eyes? Even if I do not win, at least I try, and I made it to the top 6 already ^_^


Since I have come this far, I told her that I would take 15 minutes off during my mock dispensing exam (hope I have enough time to finish my work) and dash from the top floor to the ground floor to deliver my poem. I just take it as a quite LONG toilet break then...After all, the dean won't let me skip a normal practical (marks counted towards final) for the uni debate(representing pharmacy), so since this is an individual contest, I bet the lecturers will be like "The choice is up to you but then you should always prioritise"


By the way, in the description of the poem, I wrote 'Reflection of a bittersweet past" (the theme for the uni art competition is 'Reflection'). However, it is so IRONY that I found out one week ago that it was a BITTERSOUR past. But then again, I will not let my 'talent' goes to waste just like that . Like jin said, I may as well earn some cash from the whole zha-dou experience, so just try my best to recite tomorrow.


The only thing I can think of is to be myself, I won't use those excessive tone or gesture. Just try to think back the memories (minus the betrayal, cheating part) and try to self-induce to bittersweet mood, coz that was the original mindset I had when I was inspired to write that poem. If not, I will try to think of the touching scenes from the korean drama 'Autumn in My Heart' and hopefully, the audience can sense my feelings. SO yes that is my strategy...Being creative? I really have no idea what they mean by that okies..and by communicating with audience, I take it as as long as I am able to express to them what I want to convey in the poem, then that is communication....Voice? I will just be myself la!!


kk asked me if he needs to bring leaves and fans for the fallen leaves and wind effect...haha...how thoughtful =P He even asked if I want him to bring flowers so that he can give me after I am done with the recital..aiyo so exaggerating la!!


now, don't you all wonder what poem I wrote? Out of at least 30 poems, only 6 are shortlisted and I am one of them!! THis is enough to make me happy, really ^_^ The first prizer is RM 100, 2nd Rm75 and 3rd Rm 50. The winners will get a trophy and a certificate too. The $$ factor is what urged me to join in first place, if I get the cash I will head to Perlini's Silver or Top Shop!!

So my dear girl friends out there, do NOT waste your time crying over spilled milk, even if the guy is at fault, do NOT indulge in self-pity. Instead,channel your energy and effort elsewhere!!!

The poem --"Autumn Wind of July"

The autumn wind of July
Brought together two fallen leaves,
One that fluttered,
From his shoulders to hers,
And from hers to his.


Gazes were exchanged
Smile that melted
A heart or two
How far is the gap-
That is brought closer by words?


The change of seasons
Is witness to the change of fate.
She decided to walk away,
And the fallen leaves that are apart,
Whisper, “ A part is missing”.


The twists of events,
Seem to be life’s uncertainty;
Again, the fallen leaves were reunited,
when two pairs of footsteps
formed a parallel line.


That is not one without gap;
Events followed events that unfold,
Transformation of fate to destiny?
It all seemed so close, yet so far;
Again, she decided to walk away,
In the autumn wind of July.


Memories is but the past,
But there will always be-
An autumn in her heart.


So timely huh? To think that I just finished watching the whole series of 'Autumn in My Heart'!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

u'r good,
i think it's meaningful to u, but i dun really understand some parts of it, it's Ok!
YEA, continue writing poem Ss...=)

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home